Designing the Product Organization
In this full-day workshop, you’ll dig into what product leaders do, and how we design product organizations to deliver both great products and motivated teams. Rich will take the group through the product leader role (VP Product Management, CPO, Director of Products) and how that’s different from individual contributor product jobs. We will do some skills-building, group exercises, safely ask candid career questions, and ponder whether that next-job-up is one you want. We’ll also tackle a few hot issues raised by attendees.
Rich is a 35-year veteran of Silicon Valley product management including 6 startups. He is a smokejumper product executive – parachuting into software companies to run product teams on an interim basis – and has coached scores of product leaders. He founded Product Camp, has been blogging about software product management since 2002 and his “Art of Product Management” (2008) was one of the first books on the subject. See https://www.mironov.com/
What we’ll learn together:
• What does a product leader actually do? How is that the same/different from what individual product managers do?
• Different product management organizational models
• Ways to build/nurture product/development teams
• Growing cross-functional collaboration and trust
• Working with C-level execs on business/product/goal alignment
• Do I want that job? (Opportunities and product career paths)
• How to signal interest and move up into a leadership role
Who should attend?
This workshop is perfect for newly promoted product leaders, senior product managers, and anyone thinking about how to build great product teams.